Tuesday, August 10, 2010


Smells like left brain

A key epilepsy question (at least to a neurologist) is "Where in the brain is the seizure coming from?"

As a result of this, we neuro docs look for clues as to which side of the brain is the seizure trigger, so to speak (we call it "lateralization"). Sometimes the answer is obvious on MRI or EEG, sometimes it's more subtle. In those cases we have to look for details in the patient's history or exam that lead us to the answer. Different findings have what we call "lateralizing value", meaning how useful it is.

Now, I'm all for further research into this. But, I have to say, some researchers looking for new lateralizing features have gone a bit too far. Or at least shown a determination to notice things that I don't want to.

(Neurology word: "Ictal" means "seizure-related")
Click to enlarge



I'd like to thank the Science Marches On Department for bringing this important research to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment