Saturday, August 7, 2010

More Dr. Daughter

Dr. Daughter from the previous post wasn't done, not by a long shot.
The abdominal surgery her mother had was uncomplicated, but as with most abdominal surgeries, peristalsis hadn't quite caught up yet.
For this reason, I had kept her diet to "sips and chips" (sips of water and ice chips).
After giving her some oral pain medication, at the daughter's insistence, her mother vomited.
I gave her some anti-emetic, explained that the narcotic could sometimes cause nausea, and that her "bowels hadn't woke up" (it was doubtful she knew what 'peristalsis' meant).
I explained why I wasn't feeding her food.
I explained eating food would make her nauseous.
I told the family not to feed her.
I was talking to an effin' brick wall.

You guessed it.

Dr. Daughter: "It was only a biscuit and some Pepsi. She needed something in her stomach and Pepsi settles her stomach."
Tex: "It's OK, I don't have to do the laundry."

No comments:

Post a Comment