Monday, August 2, 2010


Death by OSHA

In clinic the other day there was a rapid shuffling of feet to my door and a very young medical assistant said, "Doc, the safety people are here... do you know what to do if someone falls in the clinic?"

"My dear child," I intoned, "I certainly hope so at this point in my career... You see, even though the book answer is to start with the ABCs we can skip those if the patient is yelling..."

"No, no!... The safety people are here."

"Safety people? Are they going to ask me what to do?"

"Yes, unless your door is closed."

(Closing door)... "I've gotta know... It's killing me... What's the answer?"

"You pull a form double-ought XYZ from the red binder in the nurse manager's office and fill it out."

I kept the door closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment